Monday, February 12, 2007

_God's Juice

beverage is a battlefield. pat benatar said 'love is a battlefield'; she may be correct. i confidently say that beverage is also a battlefield. every morning i rush around the house like the squirrel from that 'shrub' movie just so that i can get drive thru coffee on my way to auburn (which i refer to as au-where is it? it's small...very small). my efficiency in the morning determines which coffee establishment has the pleasure of my business. HG is a shorter drive, but i crave starbucks. i'd even go as far to say that my palate yearns for a tall nonfat mocha....ahhhhhhh.

i confess sheepishly that
1-neither coffee shop is on my way to school. really, what is 'my way'? can't 'my way' be the route down dupont to the corner of lima (and back again-it's like a giant roundabout. let's pretend we're in the UK!)
2-i have all the makings for my 'holy water' in my kitchen, so i really could save the trip (and yes, the money as well) yet, i can't control my need to feel like a kid at christmas as i pull up to the drive thru window!

this is all to preface the fact that i love coffee AND that i prefer one coffee house flavor to another.
now things get tricky. auburn has now reached the status of 'legitimate city' (i'm still playing it fast and loose with that word). auburn now comes with a starbucks. it's all the rage; i'm confident that pretty soon all of manhattan will be abuzz! normally the need to choose between two starbucks would keep me in utter turmoil all night (i'm not too good with 'the options')......enter brew daily.

i started going to brew daily when i realized that no one really knew me there. i had total anonymity; i could read, pick my nose, wherever the wind blew....freedom! it was also beneficial that friends of mine own it. one slight problem though-i don't really care for the coffee. i never thought i'd become a coffee snob-what the junk is that about? look again at the above photo: the cup on the left has a tea bag laced down the side. i have now become a tea drinker; that is so 'old lady' or 'anyone british'. as for the anonymity...over. i realize that once your appearances become more frequent, the strangers that were there yesterday are not strangers today. the kid behind the counter starts boiling the water before i get up to the register. today i did throw him for a loop-i switched tea flavors. watch out BD-no more boring predictable me (only when it comes to tea)

as for the auburn starbucks, i haven't made an appearance. i don't think i want to. i am devoted to the establishment where they boil the best water, open my teabag, and where 'everybody knows my name'

1 comment:

rebekah said...

hey stephanie -- just stopped by to say hey :) don't you fear, i am a coffee snob too. actually just enjoyed some starbucks in mexico city, um... yesterday as a matter of fact. much love. hope all is well.