Friday, March 10, 2006

Everything I Need to Know I learned at Friday's?

Honestly, I did learn a whole lot about myself and others by working at Friday's. It was the first time where I was surrounded by people who needed to hear the TRUTH. I was the polar opposite of most people I encountered there. Knowing me, I was very stand-offish and nervous to talk to anyone because I was afraid they'd make fun of me. What is this, Junior High? Most people blew me off for the first couple of months....except one.

We couldn't be more different. Religion, upbringing, hobbies (or addictions), philosophies, friends, education, life experience... no one would have ever matched us as friends. It was not anything I pursued, but this became one of the most honest friendships I have ever experienced.

There are two enormous things I have learned lately while considering this random, raw, and real friendship. Here is one:

This last week, my nameless friend has been in Alabama using his spring break to help with hurricane relief. This is not in his nature; he's more of a 'if it benefits me, then I'll do it' kind of guy. I got so excited about how this trip might affect him. Would he come home more humble? Servant-hearted? Thankful? Would this affect his religious thoughts? He's such a dynamic person; if he were a Christ-follower I have confidence that he would change his world for Christ (and I don't mean that in the cliche way we're all used to hearing it). Multiple times this week I've thought how amazing it would be to watch him be passionate about the truth. And then I realized that this must be the way God looks at and thinks about me.

"If only Stephanie were as passionate about ME as she is about singing/acting/etc... there are so many things I want to show her and parts of Myself I want to reveal to her." Why did I think I have arrived at some spiritual plateau, as if there are not HUGE areas in need of improvement?

I'm trying to find words that conclude these thoughts, but maybe they need to be left open...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

cool were did u get the time to do this