Thursday, October 05, 2006

the last word...

You need to know this about me; MY TEAM ALWAYS WINS. I have to. I'm a failure if I don't. Not only do I have to win every competition, I must win every conversation. This is something I hate about myself. There is this uncontrollable need to have the last word. the final say. the clincher. Why can't I just let things lie? What is wrong with me?!
I didn't really notice it about myself until college. My roommate put up with it for years...still does as a matter of fact. Apparently this unquenchable deisre to be right crosses the boundaries of phone lines and email. She was compassionate with me and let me give the last word much more often than she should have.
This summer I met a girl with the same disease.
It is true that the things that bother you the most about someone else are usually the same things that describe you as well. On a 8 day road trip, I lost the final say to Erin more times than I can count. It took me about 2 hours to realize that I wasn't going to win much, so I tried to bite my lip. I'm not speaking figuratively; there were bite marks. By the third day, I couldn't hold it in any longer; I had to be heard! Even when I exploded out my definitive statements, she'd come back at me with more. This girl was not going to give in. Consequently, my life was completely altered as a result of this trip. Sounds overly dramatic, but very true.
Having the last word is not limited to topics of which I am knowledgeable. I have an extremely embarrassing habit of talking about things I am utterly ignorant about, but acting as though I've written the book on the topic.
For instance, I may be able to convince you that I know multitudes about photography and that I'm quite talented.


I can tell you the little that I know about photography in a way that convinces you I'm an expert. The embarrassment comes when I'm fluanting my ignorance to someone who actually knows something about photography.

The one with the actual knowledge then has options:

1. show compassion to the ignoramous and let it slide 2. quietly and kindly correct the inaccuracies of the ignoramous 3. loudly and proudly correct the enormous mistakes of the ignoramous while showing off own skills

sidenote: the photo scenario has not happened between my brother and I, but he would have chosen option 1

How many times does this same type of situation have to occur for me to SHUT UP!?

Your beauty should be that of your inner self, the unfadig beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in god's sight. I Pet 3:5

A fool's mouth lashes out with pride--------The tongue has the power of life and death------Those who guard their mouths and their tongues keep themselves from calamity---------Do not exalt yourself in the king's presence

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

2 things. First, you sound just like Monica with the "MY TEAM ALWAYS WINS." Hilarious.

Second, I totally hear you. I spend waaay too much of my life thinking it's all about me, and acting accordingly. One of my favorite quotes is by Ann Ortlund, "When a woman has God's beauty-a meek and quiet spirit-she isn't threatening to those around her. She doesn't compete; she doesn't 'demand her rights', because she's secure. Her trust is in God to exalt her in His own way and time and He does! He can afford to expand her gifts and increase her place in the world because she's not grasping for it. That's God's kind of beautiful woman."

Personally, I think you are beautiful...to God and me.

Joshua Longbrake said...

i think you're beautiful too.

and next time we play euchre i'll let you win....

but just this once.

Ben said...

I like it when your team wins because I'm on it!

rebekah said...

hey stephanie!
it has been a while, just wanted to say hi! i hope that you are doing well. amy k. fills me in every once in a while on your here and there and everywhere stories (haha)... you should come visit her (me too!) down in tennessee.
here is a hug to you!
rebekah

kristenlea47 said...

Hey honey!
I just saw a pic of you on Amy's blog! Your hair is so long! I like it! Its kinda crazy... hers is short and yours in long now! Anyway, you look great, and I hope to talk to you soon. I'll keep reading...