Wednesday, April 19, 2006

I Have Always Love You

This morning during my "daily commute" (I pretend to live in a bustling metropolis, but you all know what the Fort is like) I was listening to a CD that is a surefire way to get me energized for the day. On track 16 of CD Two the guy sings these words, "I have always love you. " The lyrics were not I have always loved you, but love you. I'll confess I hadn't noticed this before, but read about it in a critique posted on the web. Now I listen for it every time I play the song. I checked my piano music just now, and the word is written as loved. There are two possibilities:
1. The composer wrote loved, but the performer sang love
2. The composer wrote love, but the publisher accidentally printed loved
Typically I am not a fan of grammatical errors, but in this case I find it incredibly fitting.


Next week will be the 10 year anniversary(?) of the day my mother died. I was 15 years old; I am now 25. More than a few changes have occurred in the last 10 years. I could write the story now because it's still so fresh in my mind, but my brother has done it eloquently in two essays entitled "The Beauty of Suffering."

What am I getting at? Here it is: so many people tell me how much they loved my mother. Loved... in the past tense. I AM NOT DONE LOVING HER! (capitalization was not used to criticize those past tense lovers, but to show how much I present tense love her) I have always love her!
True, I haven't seen or spoken to her in 10 years. That doesn't change the fact that I present tense love her. My dad talks about this sometimes. He loves her in the present too, as does Josh. We don't loved her, we love her. This may not seem profound to anyone; that's not my intent. I'm just thankful for the extremely poignant lyric or possible grammatical error that has played on my car stereo innumerable times.

No comments: