Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Lonely=Good Thing (Not the Martha Stewart Way)

I'm surprised that I've lasted four months actually writing my own words in this journal. I humbly realize that there are others who write immeasurably better than I, so today I begin quoting other people!
Josh gave me Blue Like Jazz years ago, long before it was a cultural phenomenon. Granted, I didn't read it for awhile, so I do fall into the pop culture crowd. I'm now reading another Don Miller book, Searching for God knows what. Yesterday I read (twice!) a chapter about Eden. Here's what Don says:

I noticed Adam and Eve didn't meet right away. Moses said God knew Adam was lonely or incomplete or however you want to say it, but God did not create Eve directly after He stated Adam was lonely. This struck me as funny because a lot of times when I think about life before the Fall, I don't think about people going around lonely. But that thought also comforted me because I realized loneliness in my own life doesn't mean I am a complete screwup, rather that God made me this way. You always picture a perfect human being somebody who doesn't need anybody, like a guy on a horse out in Colorado or whatever. But here is Adam, the only perfect guy in the world, and he is going around wanting to be with somebody else, needing another person to fulfill a certain emptiness in his life. And as I said, When God saw this, He did not create Eve right away. He did not give Adam what he needed immediately. He waited. He told Adam to name the animals.

...I looked up how many animals there are in the world, and it turns out there are between ten million and one hundred million different species. So even if you believe in evolution, that means there were between one million and fifty million species around in the time of the Garden, and Adam, apparently had to name all of them. And the entire time he was lonely.

All this to say that had God given Eve to Adam immediately, would Adam be as grateful for her as he was after waiting so long for a companion? I was watching "One Fine Day" last night. I rarely want to watch this movie because I get so completely frustrated that this one day the two characters are experiencing could be so terrifyingly horrible; it seriously does just get worse and worse. At the end of course, they end up together and would probably say it was worth it to endure that manic day because of the result. How many things in life do I complain incessantly about, not realizing it will all be completely worth it in the end?! I feel foolish about it now, and I'm confident I'll feel foolish about this in months and years to come. My hope is that the time between foolish feelings will start to lengthen. My attitude is up to me to decide, right? Right.

No comments: