Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Though the Fig Tree Withers

While we were tearing down that same woman's house in Matamoros, I noticed an odd tree. I'd never seen this kind before (though I confess I haven't paid much attention to trees since my Mom, Grandma, and I went on a leaf hunt for my 3rd Grade project). I tried in my best Spanish to ask what kind of tree it was. She couldn't remember the name, but knew it was in the Bible. She went into her 'house' and brought out a well-worn Spanish Bible. Opening to one of the gospels, she showed where Jesus spoke about a fig tree.
Habakkuk 3:17-18
Though the fig tree does not bud and there are no grapes on the vines, though the olive crop fails and the fields produce no food, though there are no sheep in the pen and no cattle in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the LORD, I will be joyful in God my Savior.

This lone fig tree standing in the rubble is an image engraved in my mind. Rejoice in the LORD always



1 comment:

Amy said...

One of my favorite verses.

I'm glad you're blogging again. And you seem to have this knack for saying something poignant in about a fifth of the words it usually takes me to try and make a point :)

love ya!