Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Rent Is Due...

I remember the day well. I was playing a game of Pounce with my NanNan (known to the rest of the tri-state area as Karan. Who are we kidding? She's known worldwide!). We would almost always listen to showtunes while playing Pounce. This musical was the anti-Rodgers&Hammerstein. I was magnetized; she was bored.

My journey with Rent started there and continued...
* Summer 1999- I would sing the entire score word for word with Korban (being good Christians AND recent BCS graduates, we omitted the profanity).
*Fall 1999- My roommate Nicole and I would perform selected songs for IWU guests.
*Winter 1999- We took a road trip to Bloomington and finally lived the dream. We saw Rent live on stage (We being Tonya, Nicole, Korban, myself, and some guy whose name escapes me now- obviously a lifelong friend).
*Sometime 2002- Amy and I would sync up our discmans and listen to Rent simultaneously, thinking we were the coolest (apparently we couldn't afford a headphone jack splitter).
*November 2005- The film opens in Fort Wayne; Stephanie and I are among the first to see it.
*February 2006- The DVD is released; I of course watch it in its entirety, along with the special features (a 4 1/2 hour experience)

Of course I am drawn to Rent because of the music; it ignites this unbelievable passion inside the listener. There's more though; I'm drawn to the relationships in the story. More than anything else, Rent is a story about relationships.





4 very different, very deep, and at times very devastating relationships...

Roger and Mimi-Each trying to fill in the holes left in the other; selfishness interrupts, then selflessness overcomes
Angel and Collins- Living in the here and now, wondering how long the here and now will last
Joann and Maureen- Faith and Trust vs. Jealousy and Pride
Mark- The observer, the encourager, the one who is stepped on
Ultimately, each character lived with the mindset that all anyone has is TODAY. They lived as though this is it. Do whatever makes you happy, whatever makes you feel good. All love is good and true, no matter who it is you're loving. This is dangerously close to the truth that I know. It sounds so great, but I know that it is contrary to real TRUTH. These fictitious characters didn't mean a lot to me until I realized...
I know a Roger.
I know a Mimi.
I know an Angel.
I know a Collins.
I know a Joann.
I know a Maureen.
I know a Mark.
WE ALL DO.
And then I wondered, Am I one of them?
Are You?

3 comments:

Joshua Longbrake said...

I like RENT.

Stephanie said...

Josh, I don't think 'like' would even suffice for what I feel for RENT. The addiction has resurfaced.

Anonymous said...

"...and some guy whose name escapes me now- obviously a lifelong friend." I love it, Steph. When I read that, I could just hear your tone of voicing saying it.